Like me, I’m sure many of you have used the phrase “I hope…………..”, without realizing the power of hoping, and the promise god has made to those of us who hope through faith. I have always considered myself an optimist; forever believing whatever I do will be successful and whatever I want I will have. As I look back at my life I’m coming to the realization that those things that came to pass through hope or optimism was really a blessing from god. I have dissected the above mentioned verse to show how our sufferings give us hope.
- Sufferings – Definition: The state of a person or thing that suffers. Synonyms: agony, torment, torture; pain, distress.
- Perseverance – Definition: Steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state,etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. Synonyms: doggedness, steadfastness, persistence.
- Character – Definition: The aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing. Synonyms: individuality, personality.
- Hope – Definition: The feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. Synonyms: expectancy, longing.
- You Must Suffer – Hebrews 12:7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? We ought to give god glory ESPECIALLY in our times of sufferings, because we know that we only suffer because our heavenly father loves. God knows everything about us and he knows what lessons each of us as individuals need to learn and what hardships we need to endure in order to have a closer walk with him. So Rejoice in suffering.
- Don’t Give Up – James 1:12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. God has promised those who remain steadfast in serving him in spite of their trials, the crown of life. God’s ways are higher than our ways and it is because of that he will always be faithful to his word. We can stand firm on his promises, expecting them to be fulfilled.
- Follow Christ’s Example – 1 Peter :21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. There is comfort in knowing that even Jesus suffered. Sacrificing his life, to give us salvation was the ultimate sacrifice and he endured it to the end. I don’t believe anything we have to endure in life can begin to compare to the sufferings Jesus endured for us. Choosing to follow in Christ’s footsteps will form in us characteristics in alignment to god’s word.
- The Joy of Hoping – Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Believing that your situation is working out for the better and trusting god to see you through brings joy. It’s a remarkable feeling, knowing you’re facing a trial and still having joy. Constantly being in god’s presence and simply waiting for him to show himself faithful brings us unspeakable joy.
Dear LORD, Alpha and Omega, the God who has no beginning and who will never end.
Reveal to us the spiritual treasures hidden amongst the thorns of suffering.
Shield us from anger, bitterness, debilitating discouragement and wavering unbelief when we feel the crashing waves in the storms of difficulties in the oceans of our lives.
Spill Your Holy presence into our weary hearts whilst you infiltrate every crevice of our soul with the healing balm of Your Grace.
Flame an appetite for righteousness in the furnace of affliction as you mold us and transform our brokenness into a sanctuary of delight.
Unveil the HOPE of Your divine presence when we crawl through the valleys of despair and death, knowing that You are our eternal, everlasting, unfailing HOPE in and through all things.